Maintenance and set up
Before starting set up, be sure to follow cleaning and disinfection recommendations. Click here to learn more about cleaning and disinfection. After cleaning, this is the perfect opportunity to check all components of your barn. This includes motors, vents, alarms, sensors, and lights. If you aren't sure what to check or where to start, consider using our checklist below. If you have concerns after checking one of these items, contact your equipment supplier.
- Check propane inventory.
- Check that all motors, including fan and feed lines are in working order.
- Vents and vent machines should be clean and in good working condition.
- Alarms should be checked and cleaned so they are in proper working condition.
- Maintain high and low settings 10°F (6°C) from the target temperature.
- Make sure all overhead lights are working and provide sufficient light in the house.
- Set up the right number of feeders and drinkers. Click here to learn more about feeder and drinker set up
- Start preparing the right environmental conditions inside the barn.
- Depending on the season or outside temperature, the barn may need to be warmed up to 2 days before bird placement. After hearing, spread breeding across the entire barn floor, approx 4" (10cm) deep.